- Height: 5'10"
- Weight: 161lbs
- Date of Birth: July 31, 1969
- Birthplace: Lecce, Italy
- Position: Midfielder
Antonio Conte was an Italian professional soccer player with considerable talent and ability at his midfield position. Known for his strong defense, Conte also possessed an outstanding ability to cross the ball. He was a hard working player, able to complement his defense with astonishing shots on the offensive side of the ball.
Conte was born on July 31, 1969 in Lecce, Italy. He started out his career playing for a youth soccer team before moving up to play for Lecce in 1985. He played at Lecce for six full seasons and part of a seventh, making 89 total appearances. He then moved on to Juventus part way through the 1991-92 season. He played the rest of his career with Juventus, making a total of 295 appearances with the club through 2004. While at Juventus he served part of the time as the team’s captain and helped lead the club to win numerous championships and cup titles, including five Serie A Championships.
Conte also played for the Italian national team, winning 20 total caps (appearances) between 1994 and 2000. He made appearances for Italy in both the 1994 FIFA World Cup and the 2000 European Championship.
Conte decided to retire following the 2003-04 season and almost immediately started coaching. He began his coaching career at A.C. Sienna in 2005, moving to Arezzo in 2006. He was fired shortly after joining the club due to the team’s poor performance, but was hired back in March of 2007.
Career Highlights, Awards, and Accolades:
- Made 384 total club appearances.
- Scored 30 career club goals.
- Won 20 career caps for the Italian national team.
- Scored two career goals for the Italian national team.
- Won the UEFA Cup in 1993.
- Won the Italian Cup in 1995.
- Won the Champions League in 1996.
- Two-time Italian SuperCup winner: 1995 and 1997.
- Five-time Serie A Champion: 1995, 1997-98, and 2002-03.